It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just days away. And I think that a lot of people are having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit this year. I know many of us have been deeply affected by the election and seeing the good in the world or finding anything to be thankful for has been hard. It’s hard to find things to be thankful for when the world seems to be falling apart. We see hate and anger in the media and hate and anger on social media and it seeps into our lives. We become filled with it and it blinds us from finding the good in life. That hate and anger keeps us from feeling thankful for anything.
But I promise you…the good stuff is there. There is something good in every day, we just have to look past all the hate and anger in the world to see it.
So today I’m giving you a few ways to see the good. Here are a few ways to look past the bad and the things we should be thankful for this holiday season.
- Focus on the small things: Sometimes it really seems like our lives are falling apart. In those times, it’s important to focus on all the small things that make us smile. It may be something as little as a cup of coffee. Maybe it’s a good pair of yoga pants or hearing your kids laugh. Those small things, they remind us that even when everything is going wrong, there are things that can make us smile…things that can make us thankful for that particular day.
- Keep a gratitude journal: A gratitude journal is a great way to keep track of all the things that make you happy. It’s a good reminder, on our bad days, that we have things in our lives to be thankful for.
- Stay off social media: Here’s the thing..social media is a blessing and a curse. Social media can spread kindness or breed hate. And those keyboard warriors are everywhere. So if I find myself in a bad mood or in a place where I can’t see anything good, I stay away from social media.
- Do something good for someone else: Spreading joy and making someone else thankful is always a good thing. If you’re stuck in a dark place, go buy someone else a cup of coffee. Do something good for someone else, pimp some joy. Be someone’s reason to be thankful. #pimpinjoy
- Do something that makes you smile: Take care of yourself. Love yourself. Be kind to yourself. It’s hard to focus on the good in our lives when we’re unhappy with ourselves. Take at least 10 minutes a day to do something YOU love, something that makes YOU smile. At least, in that moment, you will have something good to hold on to. You’ll have something good to be thankful for.